Tuesday, October 24, 2006

OTN Night

The Westin St Francis hotel is awesome. Its got these fantastic painted plaster ceilings, and all kinds of exotic ornamentation on all the walls.

After wolfing down a slice of pizza and a couple of corn dogs, I hefted my laptop and a beer into the OTN Linux / Oracle installfest. They were handing out freebies of copies of RedHat 4 and Suse 9, and I had gone prepared to install RedHat, with all the data that I care about being stored safely on CD.

The installation of Linux progressed without a hitch, but it slowed down somewhat when I hit the Oracle installation. I hadn't actually read the install notes before last night and you have to do quite a bit of configuration before you install the database. The upshot of this was that I didn't get Oracle installed.

Besides that not only was the wireless interface on my laptop not working (as expected) but neither was the wired ethernet connection. So I decided I would reinstall Fedora Core 5, as I knew I could get at least the ethernet working and Oracle would install on it, with a bit of persuasion. Before I went to bed, though, I decided to take a punt on an openSuse 10.1 disk I had received on the cover of Linux User magazine. So I set it to installing before I hit the hay.

It was a bit like waking up on Christmas day as a kid. The laptop was suspiciously quiet - I hadn't plugged it in so it had run out of juice and shut down. I booted it up and ta-da: everything worked. I was pretty astonished as with FC5, I've had a lot of problems (mostly due to my newbness, I'm sure) with wireless, graphics and sound.

It picked up the wifi connection without doing any configuration at all, which amazed me - under FC5 I had only go it to work by chanting all kinds of incantations at the command line.

This afternoon I've been trying to get Yast to install the NVIDIA graphics drivers, and its just completed so here goes. I'm going to cross my fingers and reboot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home